mercredi 9 octobre 2013

Mobile lessons from the next generation

A lire sur:  http://blogs.computerworld.com/personal-technology/22894/mobile-lessons-next-generation

October 03, 2013 7:00 AM EDT
My wife is wonderfully low tech. When her old, vanilla mobile phone stopped working a year ago, she insisted that she didn’t want to replace it with a smartphone. She claimed the features were wasted on her and they would get in the way of how she wanted to use the phone, to speak with people. Last weekend she surprised me by deciding she now wants a phone with all the bells and whistles.  I was worried that she’d been bitten by the new iPhone bug, which hit 9 million other people in one weekend, but her change of mind was more educated.  She was learning from our kids.
Dinners have changed
I love anecdotes and stories, which has lead to many an entertaining dinner conversation. However, my kids have changed the game for me. Now when I start to tell a story they pull out their smartphones under the table and Google my stories. Unless I get every fact and nuance just right, I get corrected and sometimes even criticized! It’s worse than being a comedian in front of a tough crowd, and as much as I dislike it, this is the new normal.
Technology is making us quicker
I call my kids ‘the cyborgs’ because of how connected they are to mobile technology. And they are good at it; they still eat their food and participate in the general conversation while they’re secretly surfing the web to fact-check my stories. They are also texting their friends and keeping track of important sports games, all from the palm of their hand. If I didn’t know how they did it, I would have been amazed at how fast my kids were.
And it isn’t just dinners. When we are driving, my kids will get traffic information on their phones (unless they’re too busy texting their friends or playing games) and let me know to change route because traffic looks bad half an hour away. My wife told me that she feels less knowledgeable than the kids, despite the fact that she has a Ph.D. in genetics, and now wants the same leverage with a smartphone of her own. I can’t blame her.
Technology leverage outside the household
Given how significantly mobile technology has changed the capabilities and outputs of my kids, compared to what I did at their age, I was interested in understanding this shift on a more macro level. The Bureau of Labor Statistics found that U.S. productivity increased 80.4 percent between 1973 and 2011. This is more than just mobile productivity growth, but essentially the combination of computers, the web and mobile access combined has made every worker in the US almost twice as productive as they used to be.
Another study showed that federal employees gained three extra hours of productivity per week by using mobile devices, with more than half of respondents citing an additional five hours of device-driven productivity per week. It’s not just large enterprises reaping the rewards. One-fifth of SMBs in the U.S., Canada and Australia experienced productivity gains of more than 30 percent after adopting mobile work styles.
Mobile access is making employees quicker
Increased productivity is music to any organization’s ears. And beyond increased productivity, research has shown that when employees have control over their devices, employee satisfaction goes up. A recent report found that 83% of skilled workers with access to flexible IT policies said they were satisfied with their work, compared with 62% of their counterparts who didn’t get to benefit from flexible IT conditions.
Here’s another increase that will make your jaw drop. These happy mobile workers who use personal devices for both work and personal purposes put in 240 more hours per year than those who do not. That’s almost 5 hours every week or an additional 12 percent more output, compared to the basic 40-hour workweek! That’s 12 percent of overtime you get from your employees without demands coming down from executives, but purely a choice by employees who are allowed to use technology that they find compelling.
However, we shouldn’t be surprised by this stat. When I look at my ‘cyborgs’ at home, I am also struck by another fact. While my kids may not have spent the countless hours that I did learning to master the violin, and resisted when I pushed them towards musical instruments, they’ve spent countless hours learning to master a number of different devices and platforms. And while my parents had to push me to practice, my kids improved their technological skills on their own time without any push from my wife or me. The time I spent practicing the violin is comparable to the time my kids spend on technology and they loved every minute of their work.
Learning from the next generation
While I wanted my kids to become better versions of me, they have become something different, something truly 21st century and innovative. The same phenomenon is probably happening everywhere else, including your company. Employees who embrace new technology may introduce some risks along the way, but they are the future of how your industry will operate. Our challenge, as parents and managers, is to make sure that the new possibilities opened up by technology are positive and that they are infused into company culture in a secure and flexible manner.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire